Saturday, February 10, 2007

Samuel's visit to the Dentist

I have noticed since Samuel was nine months discoloration of his four front teeth. We were informed by medical professionals/ dentist that pediatric dentist do not see babies until the age of 2. On Thursday, February 8, we took Samuel to a pediatric dentist being that he was weeks away from his second birthday. At the dentist, Samuel underwent a teeth x-ray. The result indicated that Samuel's four front teeth were decayed. The dentist were concern that if all four decayed teeth were not removed they would infect his gums and attack his permanent teeth. As a result, all four of Samuel’s teeth were extracted. It was one of the worst days of my life because I knew that giving Samuel milk after brushing his teeth before bedtime had attributed to his tooth decay. I became tearful and was comforted by my husband. I did not have words to explain my feeling. I guess at the moment I felt shocked, guilty,scared, confused. This was not the kind of first experience I wanted Samuel to have at the dentist. We were told by Samuel's dentist that BABIES ARE SEEING BY PEDIATRIC DENTICT ONCE THEY START HAVING TEETH. I was also angry because I felt that this could have been address if we were not misinformed.

As for how Samuel is doing, his personality has not changed. He is still the fun loving Samuel as before (playing and getting into mom and dad's belongings). Although we have to modify what he eats for healing purposes he still ask for food he can not yet eat.
Below are some pictures of how Samuel looks now.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HE NEEDS A HAIRCUT! lol
-Uncle Howard

Anonymous said...

He does not need a haircut. I like it this way! Once Sharline saw you wrote that she got mad at me. You need to let me have my way and let him grow out his hair a little bit.

Anonymous said...

NO WAY! Well, if it makes you feel any better, when I took Levi in for his first checkup at four, he had three cavities. And I am an faithful brusher. *SIGH*

We now use an electric toothbrush, floss every night and use a flouride rinse.

I *totally* understand how upset you were. I cried at the dentist's office, cried while he got his fillings....*sigh*

Hugs
M